Adelaide Riggi, partner at Sarno da Costa D’Aniello Maceri, devotes her practice exclusively to all aspects of divorce and family law. She is certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a matrimonial law attorney. Her practice includes divorce litigation and mediation, post-judgment litigation, custody and parenting time issues, alimony and child support, pre-nuptial agreements, matrimonial settlement agreements, palimony suits, adoption, domestic violence, and domestic partnership matters. In particular, she is experienced in handling custody and parenting time disputes.
As a mother, wife, and daughter, Adelaide understands the importance of each of her cases and the impacts decisions on such matters can have on all parties involved. She dedicates her time to helping her clients navigate these difficult personal matters while ensuring that the family structure is as protected and minimally impacted as possible. Keeping the larger picture in mind and prioritizing the needs of the children; Adelaide ensures that her clients’ needs are not sacrificed or overlooked in the process. As a seasoned negotiator, she utilizes her experience in and out of the courtroom when settling even the most complex matters.
Adelaide handles complex matrimonial matters, which can involve the engagement of a variety of experts, including forensic accountants, employability experts, real estate and personality appraisers, and custody and substance abuse evaluators. Adelaide has commercial litigation experience and assists clients with the distribution of businesses and professional practices and executive benefits, such as stock options and restricted stock. She counsels clients regarding alimony, child support, custody and parenting time issues, and the equitable distribution of assets.
To complement her family law practice, Adelaide is actively involved in various professional commitments outside of the firm. She has spoken at divorce and family law programs and seminars and authored articles on matrimonial matters. She serves as a Matrimonial Early Settlement Panelist for Somerset County. She has been Co-Chair of the Vincent J. Abruzzese Mock Trial Competition in Somerset County since 2011 and was Co-Chair of the Educational Committee for the Young Lawyers Division, Family Law Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association from 2009 to 2010. Adelaide is also the Immediate Past Chair of the Somerset County Bar Foundation, a nonprofit organization that reaches out to the public and the local legal community to offer programs, services, and funding.
Adelaide served as a judicial clerk to the Honorable James M. Havey, P.J.A.D., Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division. She also held a judicial internship with The Honorable Joseph A. Greenaway, Jr., U.S.D.J., United States District Court, District of New Jersey and a legal internship with the State of New Jersey, Office of Attorney General, Appellate Bureau. While pursuing her law degree, she was the Executive Editor of the New York Law School Journal of Human Rights and was a New York Law School Public Interest Fellow.
- New Jersey
- Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey, Matrimonial Attorney
- New York Law School, cume laude, J.D., 2000
- University of Scranton, B.S., Criminal Justice, History (minor), Women’s Studies, 1997
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Division, Family Law Division, Co-Chair, 2009 – 2010
- New Jersey State Bar Foundation, Vincent J. Apruzzese Mock Trial Competition for Somerset County, Co-Chair, 2011 to Present
- Morris County Bar Association
- Somerset County Bar Association
- Matrimonial Early Settlement Panelist, 2012 to Present
- Somerset County Bar Foundation, Former Vice Chair and Former Chair
- Somerset County Bar Association
- “Top 2 Tips to Get Through the Holidays When Divorcing”, The Connection Magazine, December 2018
- “Recession Relief: When and How Can a Former Spouse Modify a Support Award in Today’s Economy”, Town Topics of Princeton, 2009
- “Deal or No Deal – How Courts Help to Settled Your Divorce Case”, Town Topics of Princeton, 2008
- “Pendente Lite Support in Divorce”, Town Topics of Princeton, 2006
Honors & Accolades
Adelaide has been recognized by the following:
- The Best Lawyers in America® (Woodward/White, Inc.), Family Law: 2024
- Thomson Reuters, Super Lawyers®
- New Jersey Super Lawyers: 2017-2023
- Top 50 Women in New Jersey: 2022
- New Jersey Rising Stars, Family Law Section: 2010, 2013-2015
No aspect of this or any advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. A description of the award methodologies can be found here.