Daniel B. Devinney joined Sarno da Costa D’Aniello Maceri in 2016 as an associate in our Roseland office and was promoted to Counsel before making partner in 2020. He started off 2020 strong by securing a gross $650,000 jury verdict in an emergency medicine malpractice case, which was reported as one of the highest verdicts in New Jersey that year. Daniel focuses his practice on complex personal injury matters, including medical malpractice, dental malpractice, products liability, mass torts, and catastrophic personal injury cases.
During law school, Daniel was a recipient of the Presidential Merit Scholarship and completed an internship with the Community Health Law Project, during which time he focused on the legal hurdles faced by the indigent and mentally ill. After law school, Daniel served as a law clerk for the Honorable Bryan D. Garruto, J.S.C. (retired). At the conclusion of his clerkship, Daniel spent nearly 8 years working for one of the top personal injury defense firms in New Jersey, focusing on medical malpractice litigation. As Counsel, Daniel successfully handled over a hundred cases worth millions of dollars. He has intimate knowledge of the strategy and tactics utilized by the defense to successfully defend medical malpractice claims and will now utilize that knowledge to obtain outstanding results for injured patients.
In 2019, TopVericts.com listed a $3.25 million anesthesia malpractice case that partners Daniel B. Devinney and Paul M. da Costa handled amongst their list of top 50 Verdicts and Settlements in the United States. The list is comprised of cases filed either in a state or federal court, as well as those settled prior to commencing a lawsuit. More information regarding the list can be found here.
Daniel B. Devinney has secured numerous six and seven-figure verdicts and settlements on behalf of his clients. Daniel has experience arguing legal issues before the Appellate Division and the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- New Jersey
- Southern District Court, District of New Jersey
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 2007
- Cornell University, B.A., 2002
- Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey, Civil Trial Attorney
Memberships [Professional or Trade Affiliations]
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Morris County Bar Association
- New Jersey Association for Justice
- American Association for Justice
- Trial Attorneys of New Jersey
- Dancyger v. Kocsis—Medical malpractice case in which it was alleged that the Defendant negligently performed a removal of Plaintiff’s thyroid which was not medically indicated. This matter was tried to conclusion and resulted in a $8.5 million verdict in Monmouth County.
- Estate of Forzani v. Beiner—Medical malpractice matter in which it was alleged that the Defendants negligently failed to timely diagnose small bowel cancer. This matter settled for $950,000.
- Haney v. Lofaro—Medical malpractice matter in which it was alleged that the Defendant negligently failed to properly work up the patient and diagnose a heart attack. This matter resulted in a verdict of $650,000.
- New Jersey District VA Ethics Committee, Investigator, 2021-present
Honors & Accolades
Daniel has been recognized by the following:
- The Best Lawyers in America® (Woodward/White, Inc.), Ones to Watch: 2021-2024
- Thomson Reuters, Super Lawyers®
- New Jersey Super Lawyers: 2023
- New Jersey Rising Stars: 2020
No aspect of this or any advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. A description of the award methodologies can be found here.
- “Strategically Foreclosing “Known Risk” Defenses in Medical Malpractice Cases”, New Jersey Association for Justice Boardwalk Seminar, 2018
- “Tips and Strategies for Defending Plaintiff Depositions”, New Jersey Association for Justice Boardwalk Seminar, 2018.