The practice of Law is a noble profession that should serve the highest ideals to which a society aspires. The practice of Law is also a business that becomes more complex each year. Family law demands a constant balancing between business goals and professional responsibilities. As a former Chairperson of the District XIII Ethics Committee, business goals never take precedence over professional ideals in Tom’s divorce practice.
John has earned a reputation among his peers and clients as a distinguished matrimonial attorney and successful mediator. He has played a significant role in the advancement and improvement of divorce and custody law in New Jersey over the past four decades.
John currently devotes a substantial portion of his time to divorce arbitration and mediation. Divorce mediation is a voluntary and non-binding alternative to litigation that offers the parties an opportunity to settle their financial disputes and child custody issues outside of the court system. A divorce mediator must be skilled at evaluating how a judge would decide certain issues and capable of bringing the parties to an equitable settlement. Such a mediator can create tremendous value for the parties by avoiding substantial attorney fees and preventing stressful litigation and trial. Mediation also eliminates the uncertainty of how a judge ultimately would resolve the dispute. He is a frequent lecturer at continuing legal education programs statewide on all family law topics.
John’s notable clients have included boxer Mike Tyson in his divorce from actress Robin Givens; auto executive, John Z. DeLorean, in his divorce from model, Cristina Ferrare; former Lucent CEO Richard McGlnn; Elizabeth McGraw Webster of McGraw-Hill; Cissy Houston, mother of the late Whitney Houston; former Bell Labs President William O’Shea; Nicole Murphy, wife of actor Eddie Murphy, and numerous doctors, lawyers and other professionals.
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Federal Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- Rutgers University School of Law, J.D., 1967
- Rutgers University, B.A., Philosophy, 1964
- Certified by the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Divorce Mediator
Memberships [Professional or Trade Affiliations]
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Fellow
- Matrimonial Lawyers Alliance of New Jersey, Affiliate
- New Jersey Supreme Court, Family Practice Committee, Past Member and Chair of The Rules Subcommittee
- District XIII Ethics Committee, Former Member and Chair
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Family Law Section, Past Chair
- The Somerset County, Matrimonial Committee, Former Chair
- The New Jersey Family Lawyer, Former Editor and Senior Editor
Honors & Accolades
John has been recognized by the following:
- Thomson Reuters, Super Lawyers®
- New Jersey Super Lawyers: 2017-2023
- New Jersey Top 100:
- New Jersey Rising Stars: 2008, 2010-2016
- “Saul A. Tischler Award,” New Jersey State Bar Association, Family Law Section, (year)
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. A description of the award methodologies can be found here.